Memory quilts are a fantastic way to cherish and preserve pre-loved clothes and other fabric items that hold a special place in your heart.
There will undoubtedly be some clothes that you want to keep in one piece, but there may be a number of other items that you want to keep but are just collecting dust in the attic.
This is where memory quilts and blankets offer the perfect solution.
What are Memory Quilts?
Memory quilts are created using a range of a customers' pre-loved clothes. In most cases, mainly baby clothes for a child that is growing up, but we also get asked to make them for families in memory of a loved one.
Styles and designs will vary according to who you buy your memory blanket from, but at For Keep's Sake they are all patchwork quilts, that are carefully designed using separate blocks from your items of clothing.
They come in a variety of sizes and make a great keepsake as well as special item with an everyday use!
How are Memory Quilts Made?
As I said, this does vary depending on where you get your quilt made. But we believe that the clothes should be an integral part of the blanket pattern, rather than looking as though they've been thrown together and sewn on.
We carefully cut blocks from the clothes to create a stunning patchwork quilt that not only looks fantastic but maintains its' special sentiment.
We can also add extra detail to the blanket where we use different sized blocks of clothing and traditional patchwork patterns, as well as lots of extra details such as modified necklines, buttons, frills and re-applique of small motifs.
Quilts and blankets can even be personalised with a name and a photo. Each memory quilt is a true one-of a kind keepsake.
Having given such a high level of detail and attention to the front of each memory quilt, we also consider the backing to be an important part of the design.
Our customers can either choose from a plain coloured backing or one of 6 beautiful fabrics.
Things to consider before purchasing a Memory Quilt
If you are looking into getting your own memory quilt or blanket made, here are a few things it may be worth considering, to make sure you are pleased with the end result:
- When looking for a company, it's important that you like the style of the quilter. Not everyone's style will suit yours, so it would be a good idea to see photos of their work and make sure it meets your expectations.
- Consider the price. There is no need to pay over the odds, but if a company is charging a lot less than other competing companies - consider the quality of the materials they use when creating their quilts and also the time they tend to spend on designing and making them.
- You are choosing to cut up your favourite pieces of clothing to create a special keepsake that you want to last. This is another reason why your quilter will need to use good quality materials to create the quilt.
- It's also important that you find out if the fabrics will be stabilized, the type of wadding that they use and how the quilt will be finished (i.e. is it properly quilted) as these factors will all have the biggest bearing on the life and quality of your quilt.
- Make sure you know exactly what you are getting. Are you getting a patchwork quilt or a quilt that features whole pieces of baby clothes within in? What do you want?
- Finally, most quilters will understand how important this purchase is to you and will make themselves available to you to answer any questions or to discuss any questions you may have. Make sure you find someone that is happy to do this, so you are left confident that the end product will be just as you desire!
If you would like more information on memory quilts or if you are interested in purchasing one, then feel free to visit the links below.
In the meantime, if you've had a memory quilt made or have any tips for anyone looking to get this done - please feel free to comment below.
Love FKS xx
Memory Quilt FAQ's | How to Order Your Memory Keepsake Quilt
See our complete range of memory keepsake quilts, blankets and other items here.